I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Wednesday 24 October 2012

The Santina Crown... The Price of Royal Duty - Penny Jordan


The Price of Royal Duty - Penny Jordan
Mills & Boon Modern Special Releases
Harlequin UK, 2012
ISBN: 9780263897630












My rating




From the back cover:

"Runaway Royal's Romp with Rajah! 
Santina's rebellious princess Sophia made a shock exit from her brother's engagement party last night following the surprise announcement of her own arranged marriage. It seems Sophia did not favour the match...instead boldly stowing away on the magnificent Maharajah of Naipur's private jet! 
Staff insiders to the masterful Maharajah  Ashok Achari, aren't denying the pair spent a wild night together before being caught by the press on arrival in Mumbai...Scandal is the last thing the Santina royals need right now - might this maharajah be persuaded into taking Santina's runaway princess as his wife?"

The first in the series and I have to be honest as say that I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would.

Penny Jordan is one of the best Harlequin Mills & Boon writers ever, and I think her writing is fantastic. This book isn't badly written, but I just felt that it is overdone and with a little too much purple prose.

Actions and events in this book are so drawn out and over descriptive that I'd forgotten what was actually going on in certain scenes by the end. It got a little tedious to read, to be honest.

I have a real lack of affection for heroes that don't believe anything a heroine says or presumes something about the heroine and cannot be changed in his thinking by anything - to me, this is incredibly frustrating to read and a poor technique for adding conflict.

The hero and heroine's "issues" (and yes, it deserves the quote marks) are melodramatic beyond belief, by the halfway point in this book I really just felt like telling the characters to get over it!

I feel like I have been really harsh writing this review, but even if you take away all of the above stuff I have talked about, this book still disappointed me. The plot doesn't really do anything new or special that I feel a continuity series should. Also it feels completely cut off from the rest of the series - the characters are isolated and the plot doesn't develop the overall series or the series storyline.

Anyway, moving on...

Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment