I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Wednesday 5 September 2012

Book Review... Misbehaving - Sarah Harvey


Misbehaving - Sarah Harvey
Headline, 1999
ISBN: 9780747261766













My rating




From the back cover:

"When Alex Gray finds her boyfriend in bed with her gym instructor, she turns to her best friends, Emma and Serena, for advice. They challenge her to a competition to seduce as many men as they can within two months. But Alex can't seem to find anyone worth her while. That is until she meets Jake."


I read this book about 12 years ago; I got it free from a magazine and remember loving it. My copy got lost somewhere over the years of university, house moves, marriage, etc… I forgot the title but never forgot this book. I finally found it again thanks to the brilliant Smart Bitches, Trashy Books site and their HaBO (Help a Bitch Out) feature and a wonderful commenter who knew the book I described! (My HaBO. N.B. Spoilers!)

When this finally arrived I was so excited about getting to read it again. What I found is that this book is every bit as fund as I remembered it being, as well as sweet and moving… but, boy, does this feel dated! Can you say ‘90s’!!

The central story holds up well, just the details do make you cringe a bit; it brought back some memories of my early adulthood exploits that’s for sure!

The heroine’s journey is both fun and emotional, the author really engages you every step of the way. The characters feel real and believable, and I think any woman would be able to relate to them. The little bit of romance added in is just the cherry on top of a really nice cake. This is classic chick-lit.

A fun, warm, and engaging read – I’ll try not to lose my copy again!
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment