I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Thursday 6 September 2012

Book Review... Defying Drakon - Carole Mortimer


Defying Drakon - Carole Mortimer
Mills & Boon Modern
Harlequin UK, 2012
ISBN: 9780263890679












My rating




From the back cover:

"Can he turn defiance into desire?
Drakon Lyonedes has it all: power, wealth, sex appeal...and any woman he wants Until the beautiful Gemini Bartholomew steps into his life, that is...
Confronting him over his plan to turn her family home into a hotel, Gemini intrigues Drakon. The problem? "Long-term" just isn't in this infamously arrogant tycoon's vocabulary-and Gemini is a virgin who surely wants more than one night of sizzling, scorching passion...?
She's determined to defy him, but whose willpower will prove the strongest?"


This book sounded like it was going to be a classic Carole Mortimer book… While I can’t fault the writing and storytelling, which is flawless as always from this author, the story itself felt flat. It is a rather ‘tame’ book (and I’m not just talking about heat levels), to me it lacked that spark and intensity that makes the Modern/Presents line so appealing.

I couldn’t warm to the hero at all; he was constantly blowing hot and cold and was distrustful of the heroine to the point of it becoming quite frustrating to read.

The heroine is OK, she stood up for herself and had lots of independence. She, in fact, is what saved this book from being a bit of a disaster, in my opinon.

The story is a bit slow going and, at times, eye-rollingly clichéd (e.g. the hero took the heroine to see the opera, she got all dressed up and then they arrived at the airport to fly to the performance… Pretty Woman already did that!)

An OK read but a little disappointing. Not very original.


Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment