I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Book Review... A Secret Disgrace - Penny Jordan


A Secret Disgrace - Penny Jordan
Mills & Boon Modern
Harlequin UK, 2012
ISBN: 9780263890761












My rating




From the back cover:

"A shocking Sicilian secret... 
Louise Anderson s heart pounds as she approaches the imposing castello. Only the Duke of Falconari can grant her grandparents dying wish but this is the same man who said arrivederci without a backward glance after their night of unadulterated passion... 
Caesar can t believe the woman who almost ruined his precious reputation still fiercely fires his blood. Discovering that their union created more than just salacious memories, he agrees to grant Louise s request...in exchange for a demand of his own. That she wears his band of gold! 
Penny's final Mills & Boon is a classic. Intense, brooding and dramatic."


This is Penny Jordan's final book, such a legend of romantic fiction, she will be missed.

I had to work myself up to read this book. As much as I love Penny's classic books, I haven't really enjoyed some of her more recent ones, but I knew that I couldn't not-read it!

She proves, in this book, that she is truly a master at weaving a deep and fulfilling romance into a wonderfully deep story. When it comes to story flow and descriptive writing she really can't be beaten. Yes, she's overly fond of metaphors, but somehow she makes it work.

This book, for me, didn't get off to a great start. The hero and heroine spent a lot of time in their own heads, there was hardly any dialogue between them, and a lot of backstory was given with only alludes to what happened between the characters in the past. As a result the pace felt very stilted, and the story dragged as it waffled along. For the first thirty pages or so I had no idea what was going on!

But, the last half of this book is beautiful. The hero and heroine really deserved to find happiness together, but Penny made sure they, and we, worked for it. It wasn't an easy journey.

The story itself is a little old fashioned, especially with all the 'shame' parts, but that kind of adds another layer of charm to this book. Not many authors would be able to pull this off, but Penny Jordan did.

A great book, but a little melancholic to read.

RIP Penny.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment