I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Book Review... Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak - Julie Cohen


Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak - Julie Cohen
Little Black Dress, 2006
Headline 
ISBN: 9780755334810












My rating




From the back cover:

"Rosie Fox is a liar. A really, really good liar. But when you’re a stage psychic who’s not actually psychic, you have to be. Then one night, while pretending to commune with the dead relatives and pets of her audience, Rosie makes a startling prediction – which tragically comes true. Suddenly she’s trapped in a media frenzy, spearheaded by the impossibly handsome journalist Harry Blake, a man intent on kick-starting his stalled career by exposing Rosie as a fraud. Yet when his interest in her goes from professional to personal, she thinks she can trust him not to blow her cover – but maybe she’s making a huge mistake."


I wasn't entirley sure I was going to enjoye this one. The blub hints at a bit of paranormal in the story, which is just not my thing. But I picked it up, mainly as it's by Julie Cohen!

At times I had to grit my teeth and get through the unexplained moments, such as the prediction, but I kept with the book and ended up enjoying it.

In my opinion it is not one of Julie Cohen's best, but it is well thought out, interesting, and superbly written. The heroines past is weaved in to the story perfectly, I really felt that I 'knew' her and understood exactly how (and why) she got to where she is.

The relationship between the hero and heroine builds nicely and the hero's betrayal was perfectly timed.

The scenes of the heroine on stage doing her psychic readings are really gripping; very evocative, thought provoking, and ever so slightly tongue-in-cheek. There is lots of depth here, you can tell the author has done very thorough research.

So yes, an enjoyable book despite my misgivings!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment