I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Thursday 10 May 2012

Book Review... This Is A Love Story - Jessica Thompson


This Is A Love Story - Jessica Thompson
Coronet, 2012
ISBN: 9781444734218











My rating




From the back cover:

"This is a love story. Boy meets girl and girl falls for boy - that much is true. But when Sienna meets Nick it's not the way it happens in love stories. It's because of a squirrel on water skis... She sees Nick's dangerous brown eyes and thinks, 
Don't. 
Fall. 
Into. 
Them. 
Who will be there to catch Siena when she falls? She is so fragile. She has so many secrets, and he is not that serious. Funny and sad, this is the story of two people destined never to come together in the great love affair they crave more than anything else."


When I saw this book sitting on the new arrivals shelf at my local library, I immediatly grabbed it, the cover is just beautiful and it drew me to it like the moth to the flame!

This is a very absorbing and entertaining read, as well as emotional and deeply moving. However, it's not perfect and my main feeling whilst reading was annoyance.

The characters come across as a lot younger than they are, especially the hero, whom acted as though he was 21 not late 20's and 30's. Staying on the age theme, this book takes place over a period of five years, but I couldn't see any sign of the characters growing up at all. They acted exactly the same at the beginning all the way through to just before the ending.

The hero's POV didn't quite work, it seemed too similar to the heroines. And, I wish the author didn't write. So. Many. Sentences. Like. This. ...Like I said, annoying!

I almost gave up on this book around one third of the way through - the characters were getting on my nerves with their, at times, frustratingly immature actions and the pace of the book was SLOW!

But I'm glad I ploughed on, as it was really enjoyable by the end. The ending by the way is spectacular, so emotional that I was almost in tears.

The love the hero and heroine felt for each other felt genuine, and was full of ups and downs, just like any relationship, although I did on occasion feel like shouting at the two of them to just bloody tell each other!

So, yeah, not a perfect book, it's a bit of an effort but in the end very moving and emotional.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment