I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Book Review... Lucy in the Sky - Paige Toon


Lucy in the Sky - Paige Toon
Pocket Books, 2007
ISBN: 9781847390431













My rating




From the back cover:

"Settling down for a 24-hour flight to Australia, Lucy finds a text message on her phone - not from her boyfriend James, as she fondly hopes, but from a woman claiming to have slept with him four times in the past month. Trapped on the plane, she questions everything about her relationship with James. She finally calls him and he reassures her: it was only his mates playing a silly joke. James is a lawyer, persuasive and gorgeous and Lucy adores him. So why, at the wedding in Sydney of her best friend Molly, does she have niggling doubts, and find herself attracted to Molly's brother-in-law Nathan? The sooner she gets back to her regular life in London, the flat she shares with James, her job in PR, the better. Nathan is a happy-go-lucky surfer boy, with no prospects, no place to live, an almost-girlfriend in tow. And the other side of the world...Lucy - a girl caught between two distant continents - and two very different men..."


I was expecting a lot more from this book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but it was also quite frustrating. The blurb of this book made me think that the majority of the book would take place whilst the heroine was on the flight and her having to deal with all her conflicting emotions while stuck there. But instead this takes up no more than 10-20 pages, and the rest of the book jumps about. A lot.

The pacing of this book is a little odd, and the author's style doesn't quite appeal to me. It was too long winded, sort-of like 'I did this then I did that, then I went here. She said this, I said that and he said this, then I did this...' well, you get the idea!

It was never quite established whether or not the heroine's boyfriend did cheat on her - lots of accusations sure, all of which he denied, the consensus is that he did but I felt I needed a little bit of closure here.

I did enjoy the way that the author slowly built up the relationship between the heroine and Nathan, there is a beautiful friendship there not just a love story. One last moan and that is I feel the characters should have been older - the heroine is only 24.

I will look to read other books by this author as I feel that this is probably not the best example of her writing. It is OK though.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment