I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Book Review... Frenemies - Megan Crane


Frenemies - Megan Crane
Quercus, 2008
ISBN: 9781847242389













My rating




From the back cover:

"Gus Curtis has been avoiding growing up for a long time. But she’s almost thirty and official adulthood is just around the corner. So she’s come up with a plan and it’s all going to be fine. Until she walks in on her perfect boyfriend lip-locked with her oldest friend and her carefully planned world collapses like badly cooked souffle. 
Determined to win back her man, Gus drinks far too much, indulges in some ad hoc karaoke and loses what’s left of her dignity in a series of public slanging matches. Before long, her loyal friends have had enough and she’s finding consolation in the arms of the one boy she really should have stayed away from…"


I have read a lot of Megan Crane's Harlequin Presents (written as Caitlin Crews) but this is my first mainstream novel of hers.

I am so glad I picked it up as I really enjoyed it. The intricacies and complexities often found in the relationship between women are captured and used perfectly by the author. She doesn't shy away from making her characters behave badly at times, and her heroine manages to be both likeable and un-likeable all at the same time.

The story is full of ups and downs, which perfectly relates to the theme of 'growing up' in this book. Plus it has a nice mixture of fun and grittiness. One of my favourites scenes is where Gus, dressed in her blueberry bridesmaid dress for a party, realises that what sounds like a laugh doesn't actually work in reality and her silly actions are only hindering her want to be taken seriously!

The almost-a-love-story running through the book is nicely executed and enough to keep me (a die hard romance fan) pleased, and I love how the ending was left nicely open.

Any woman will be able to relate to the themes in this book and Megan Crane writes as though she is your oldest friend telling you about her latest adventure.

Really enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment