I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Monday 16 April 2012

My Favourite Heroines...



Buffy Summers from Buffy the Vampire Slayer


Now, I'm going to come right out and say it; Buffy is my favourite TV program. EVER! Nothing will ever match the brilliance of this show in my mind and heart.

So, I admit to being a little biased when it came to picking my first 'favourite heroine' in this blog feature. But seriously Buffy is, and probably always will be, one of the best fictional heroines ever created. 

If we ignore the super powers bit for the moment, she is still a brilliant heroine that has to deal with real issues. What I like most about her character is that she has real flaws, and quite a lot of them too. 

She's the blonde girl who is a little bit shallow, likes shopping and all things girly, she is hopeless at relationships (Parker... Riley!!), has one true love that she refuses to let go of... I could go on.

Most fans know that one of the most endearing parts of the show is that we, the fans, got to grow up with the characters. I was in my teens when the show began and followed it right into early adulthood. We got to experience the same kinds of life decisions and mistakes Buffy did. 

As a super hero, Buffy sacrificed nearly everything to do her duty, but she never stopped making puns or stopped moaning about it.

Her character proved to us 90's girls that we can be strong and confident and go after what we want, yet still be the ultimate 'girl'. 

I mean, if Buffy can fight Vampires in a graveyard wearing platforms and a mini skirt then so can I... well I could if I dared wearing a mini skirt and, you know, if there was such things as vampires!


I know there is so many more Buffy fans out there, tell me what you like about Buffy?

Who is your favourite fictional heroine? 

Xx

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I didn't get into Buffy *cringes* Not because I didn't like it, but it was always on TV the same night that I had dance class, so never managed to catch it! I watched Angel though (SO good!) and saw her a few times there. She rocks.

    MY fave heroine...I might have to say Hermione. She's intelligent, brave, loyal, and (same as with Buffy) I grew up with her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got into Harry Potter myself, but all those attributes sound like she is a great heroine!! Thanks for pointing her out.

    Gotta love a heroine is strong yet never stops being herself ;-)

    ReplyDelete