I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Tuesday 13 March 2012

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... Book #355


Playing the Greek's Game - Sharon Kendrick
Mills & Boon Modern
Harlequin UK, 2012
ISBN: 9780263890686











My rating

From the back cover:

"In trouble with the boss...
Few dare to defy global hotel magnate Zac Constantinides - he's the boss and everyone knows it! So when his London interior designer turns out to have dug her gold-digging claws into his brother; Zac's solution is to transfer her... to New York!
Emma may have more skeletons in her closet than most, but Zac's brother isn't one of them. The temptation to take her impossibly arrogant boss down a peg or three is too much to resist! So whilst she's with him in New York she'll play the role he's given her - and be every bit as bad as he thinks she is..."


This is Sharon Kendrick's latest. The guy on this cover kinda scares me... his eyes follow you around and he also slightly reminds me of Pete Campbell from MadMen!  

The hero Zak is under the impression that the heroine Emma and his brother are in a relationship, he doesn't want his brother to be at the mercy of an uncrupulous woman and after looking into Emma's past he decides to take action. Emma is upset that not only had Zak dredged up her unhappy past as the widow of a rock star, but he is also accusing her of being a gold digger. Zak transfers Emma to New York with the hope of removing her from his brother's temptation and finds himself inexplicably drawn the free-spirited woman she appears to be. But even as the mutual desire between them increases, he holds himself away thinking that she is forbidden to him. When Emma finally tells him he was wrong about her and his brother's relationship, there is no stopping them from finally giving in to the passion . Only the passion quickly becomes much deeper and while Emma can't help but hope for a future, Zak knows he has to end it. 

What a scorcher of a book! I really loved this from start to finish. Everything about this book has a very twenty-first century edge to it and this makes the whole story feel very fresh. It's a little bit different but still contains all those traditional Modern/Presents elements you would want. The dialogue between the hero and heroine is snappy and drenched with chemistry, it made this book sparkle. 
As expected from Sharon Kendrick, the storytelling is wonderful and hooks you straight in. I loved the contrast between the traditional hero and the free-spirited heroine - it really works. 

Plenty of unpredictability, sizzling chemistry, and brilliant characters. Oh, plus with a vegetarian heroine this book is immediately in my good books (pun intended).

One teeny moan - and this doesn't affect the overall enjoyment of the story - there are a few editing/spelling/typo mistakes in the book, I didn't make a note of all of them as I am not that pedantic but two that stick in my mind are; Saks Fifth Avenue is spelt as "Sacs" (my dirty mind gives that a totally different meaning!) and the hero's name is spelt as "Zac" on the back cover blurb but it is actually "Zak". There are a few others but nothing major, as you can see, but could have been easily rectified. 

Recommended. 

Xx

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for thinking of creating "5-Star" Labels... when you're finished your challenge I'm going to click on it and add any I haven't read to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The labels were something I added a couple of months back to make it a little easier to find reviews. Once the challenge is over I am planning a revamp to this website and I need to organise the labels as there are too many atm, will keep the star ones though as I will continue to post reviews, just not as frequent ;-)!

    Let me know how you get on with the ones that I 5-star!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete