I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Monday 19 March 2012

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... Book #365!!!!


Gold Ring of Betrayal - Michelle Reid
Harlequin Presents
Harlequin, 1997
ISBN: 9780373119172
Reissue - Harlequin Treasury, 2011
eISBN: 9781459269408










My rating





From the back cover:

"They've never stopped being married... 
Nicolas Santino doesn't accept that Lia is his daughter. He believes Sara, his wife, cheated on him with another man, and Lia is the result of that betrayal. 
So Sara and Nicolas are separated - until the silence between them is forcibly broken: Lia has been kidnapped! Nicolas knows he is the only one who can secure the little girl's safe return, but it means he must go back to Sara - and find that, even after three long years, she still wears his ring ..."


So, this is it... the 365th book. Which I read bang on the 365th day... I made it!

The heroine Sara and the hero Nicolas see each other for the first time in three years when he arrives to help Sara through the kidnapping of her daughter. Sara knows that Nicolas hates her as he believes that she cheated on him, although she desperately wants him to believe that she is innocent right now all she cares about is getting her precious baby back in her arms. Once Sara was a shy and nervous girl whose spirit and confidence was crushed under the dominance of the Sicilian life she married into, but Nicolas's cruel betrayal of not believing in her has changed her. Now she is hard and determined to fight for herself and especially for her daughter. But one thing that is still the same is the desire between Sara and Nicolas, and after Sara's daughter is found they go back to Sicily where Nicolas asks her to try again with their marriage and put all the betrayals behind them. Sara tries her best, but eventually realises that she can't live her life with Nicolas still believing that she could ever betray him.

This is a true classic when it comes to both Michelle Reid's books and Harlequin Presents. There is so much to this book - angst, hate, betrayal, passion, fear, love, forgiveness, sadness, etc - and it is all woven together perfectly. The hero and heroine's story is intense and it plays out wonderfully, at times this book is impossible to put down. So often in books where there is a supposed betrayal I find the reluctance of a certain character to believe in the other very frustrating, but in this book I could understand exactly why the hero felt this way. Even though the POV from the hero is rather sporadic I was still able to sympathise with him, as well as rooting for the heroine. That is all down to Michelle Reid's powerful writing.

This book is drama with a capital D, and totally absorbing. Highly recommended.


I really hope you have enjoyed reading my reviews of all these 365 books, it has certainly been and interesting challenge. I will be posting a summary blog post all about this later on.
Thank you to everyone who has followed/read my blog over the last 365 days!


Xx

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I was going to stop commenting because i've been going backwards from your last post to this one and thought you'd probably heard enough from me, but I just had to say, I still have this one (I LOVE Michelle Reid's books). I tend to keep away from the older books because like all of us we all move forward in both time and tastes but I thought i'd give it a go since it was a MR. I loved it! Had me hooked from the beginning. It didnt even seem that "old" which is a credit to MR I think? What a great book to end with. Best of luck with everything. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually saving this book for the very last as I had heard this is one of the best Presents ever, and I love Michelle Reid's books! Definitely worth the wait, and no doubt it will go on my to-be-re-read pile!

    Thanks for your comments, as always, I love it!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete