I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Monday 6 February 2012

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... Book #306



Nighthawk - Rachel Lee
Silhouette Intimate Moments
Reprinted in Harlequin Showcase 2-in-1
Harlequin, 2011
ISBN: 9780373688258


My rating




From the back cover:

"Esther Jackson need Craig Nighthawk's protection. The father she'd helped put away for murder was now seeking her out, so against her reclusive nature, she welcomed the darkly handsome Nighthawk into her home, hoping he could keep her safe. 
Craig knew all about fear and isolation. After all, he was still being tried and convicted by the people of Conrad County for a crime he hadn't committed. All he wanted was to be left alone. Until he met Esther, and discovered in her loving arms a peace he would safeguard at any cost..."


I have had this Showcase 2-in-1 on my bookshelf for ages and thought I would give it a go.

The heroine Esther meets her neighbour Craig, the hero, for the first time in the two years she has lived there , after one of his sheep gets into her garden. At first Esther is nervous around him, her brutal father whom crippled Esther and killed her mother has given her a lifetime of being weary of men. But she soon relaxes around him and they form a tentative friendship. Craig is intrigued by Esther, but doesn't want to become too involved with her, believing he has nothing to offer. But for some reason he can't stay away, especially when Esther's worst fear is realised - her father is out of prison and looking for her. Esther is petrified when her father makes contact, and with the law powerless to to stop him she relies on the support and protection Craig offers her. Esther begins to realise that she can't spend her whole life in fear, and her blossoming feelings for Craig help her become stronger. Even though he wants her, Craig still thinks he and Esther can never be together. So while he helps her come to terms with her fear, he also tries to push her away.

I really thought I would like this one a lot more than I did. But, I found it a little boring. The plot is really interesting but, in my opinion, far too dragged out. The lead-in to the 'big event' made it seem like this would be a suspenseful book, but I was let down. I was very intrigued by the author's use of a Native American hero, and this certainly added another layer of tension to the book, and love story. But it focused way too much on the racial/social differences between the hero and the "white man", I get it.
The sexual tension between the hero and heroine is plentiful, and really helps this book along, there were so many stops and starts to their relationship that I almost wanted to cheer when they finally got together!
I have to say that the bits I enjoyed most in this book were there actions, or should I say antics, of the animals!

An enjoyable book, but a tad boring.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment