I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Thursday 19 January 2012

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... Book #293


Secret Son, Convenient Wife - Maxine Sullivan
Mills & Boon Desire 2-in-1
Harlequin UK, 2011
ISBN: 9780263890853











My rating




From the back cover:

"Tate Chandler had never wanted a woman as much as he'd wanted Gemma Watkins—until the day she'd betrayed him. Yet when he learned they had a son, he demanded Gemma marry him, or he'd fight for custody. Tate was a man of honor—he'd create a family for his heir, even if it meant marrying a woman he couldn't trust. 
Their marriage was about duty, nothing more. But Gemma's beauty tempted him to make her his wife in every way. Could he lure her back into his bed without letting her back into his heart?"


This is my first Maxine Sullivan book, I was looking forward to reading this. I am always interested in new-to-me authors!

When the hero Tate sees the heroine Gemma in a ward of the hospital wing that has just been dedicated to his affluent family, he is immediately reminded of her betrayal. Gemma tries to hide her reason for being in the hospital, but Tate soon finds out about her son - his son. Tate can't believe that on top of Gemma's betrayal with his best friend she has also kept his son from him. He knows he can never trust Gemma again but for his son's sake, as well as his family's name, he insists they marry. Gemma loved Tate with all her heart and was deeply hurt when he believed his devious best friend over her. But knows she can't deny her son his father. After they are married Gemma soon realises that Tate has no intention of taking their marriage further than convenience, despite desire that is still between them.

This was a good read; enjoyable and well written. The story has a nice flow and there is plenty of emotion weaved into the book. The hero and heroine fit well together and there is a nice bit of chemistry. The hero's trust issues became a little tedious after a while, and a ruined a little bit of my enjoyment of the story. I wanted the heroine to stick up for herself a but more, but generally she was quite a good character.
I had two problems with this book; first is that there wasn't really enough explanation of the motive of Tate's best friend for betraying him - the reason given was that Tate dated one of his ex-girlfriends at university, surely that can't be it? It seems rather petty. The second is that again there was lack of explanation around the heroine's parents and why they didn't like her. Because of these things, I felt that some of the conflict felt a little flat.

Apart from that, I enjoyed it!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment