I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Wednesday 11 January 2012

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... Book #280


Ruthless Boss, Dream Baby - Susan Stephens
Mills & Boon Modern
Harlequin Mills & Boon, 2011
ISBN: 9780263886252











My rating




From the back cover:

"Wanted in the bedroom... not the boardroom! 
Magenta knows having a new employer might be tricky. But she isn't expecting the old fashioned ruthlessness of Gray Quinn! However, plucky Magenta is up for the challenge, and tries to play the distractingly gorgeous Quinn at his own game... 
Quinn is no New Man: he wants temptingly innocent Magenta in his bedroom, not the boardroom. But he can make her no promises. He'll give her the night of her life, but he might not be there when she wakes up... And he definitely doesn't want her taking maternity leave!"


This book has a great title and cover.

The heroine Magenta is busy preparing for a meeting with the new owner of the advertising agency she works for. After working all night she falls asleep on her desk, but when she wakes up everything around her is different. It seems that she has woken up in the 60's and her job is no longer there, instead she is the office secretary and the new boss Gray, the hero, is every but as domineering as expected. However, they both feel as connection and spend a lot of time together, eventually leading to pregnancy. Magenta is blissfully happy, but worries that the happiness she has found will soon be all over when/if she wakes up.

I almost didn't want to write this review, I hate being negative, and this is not going to be pretty. Simply put, I couldn't stand this book. First things first, the blurb does not give any indication of the actual events in this book, I would not have chosen it if so, and this is annoyingly misleading. Secondly, the most of what happens in this book is in a dream. It would have been fine if the dream had been only a small part of the book, but it wasn't, I found it very unappealing. Thirdly, the whole sixties setting would have been fun had it not felt like a complete rip-off of Mad Men. Ignoring all of the that, I still didn't like the book. I could go on for while, but I am going to stop now.

For me, this is an awful book. Of course YMMV.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment