I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Wednesday 4 January 2012

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... Book #261


The Yuletide Child - Charlotte Lamb
Harlequin Presents
Harlequin, 1999
ISBN: 9780373120703
Reissue - Harlequin Treasury, 2011
eISBN: 9781459252226










My rating




From the back cover:

"The birth of a Christmas baby... 
Dylan was thrilled when, within a few weeks, handsome Ross Jefferson met and married her. But marrying Ross meant that Dylan abandoned her career, friends and the bright lights of the city. It also brought an unexpected pregnancy. Suddenly Dylan found her previously passionate husband was holding her at arm's length, and he seemed to prefer the vivacious wife of his best friend. 
Christmas was coming and Dylan had to get away. But her car skidded. She was stranded in a blizzard and she was about to have her baby. Now she needed Ross more than ever..."


This is the last festive read, I feel the need to forget about Christmas until December rolls round again!

The heroine Dylan and the hero Ross meet after he sees her dancing, he is totally captivated by her. It is virtually love at first sight for both of them. Their whirlwind romance leads to marriage and Dylan willingly giving up her ballet career, much to her dance partners disgust. However much Dylan and Ross's marriage is full of passion for one another, the remote location of their home and Ross's busy working life are hard for Dylan and she soon becomes lonely. When Dylan becomes pregnant, Ross seems to pull even further away from her and she can't help feeling that their marriage was a mistake.

I don't really know what to say about this book. I expected a lot more from it, especially from Charlotte Lamb, but I was sadly disappointed. There is no POV from the hero and I found it difficult to actually believe the relationship. The heroine is a very unsympathetic character, she comes across as very immature and whiny. This book is basically about the heroines insecurities, and not much else. The great misunderstanding was obvious, I saw it coming a mile off.
I also found the writing style very difficult to get into, there is a lot of telling not showing and the pace is rather odd.

As I said, disappointing.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment