I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Tuesday 8 November 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #209



The Costarella Conquest - Emma Darcy
Mills & Boon Modern
Harlequin UK, 2011
ISBN: 9780263886931






My rating




From the back cover:

"Jake Freedman is biding his time before exacting vengeance on the man who destroyed his family. And if a blind date with Costarella's daughter will keep his bitterest enemy sweet, Jake will don his bespoke Italian suit and mask his cynicism with a killer smile...
Jake's practiced touch hooks the innocent Laura Costarella into a dangerous affair. But the treacherously tempting Laura is the only conquest Jake's ever desired more than the ruination of the Costarellas.
It seems that, in this case, revenge is a dish best served red-hot!"



On my way up to visit my Mother-in-law I dashed into WHSmiths to pick up a couple of magazines for her and discovered that they had 5-for-4 on romances... my debit card got a work out!

The hero Jake is close to exposing the fraud of the man he blames for causing the destruction of his family many years ago. He has managed to work his way up into a position of trust without being suspected, and he is invited to meet the daughter of his nemesis. He is expecting a spoilt woman, but when he meets Laura she is not at all like that. Laura has had to live with her fathers disapproval and cruelness her whole life, and is not surprised when he expects her to date one of his employees, but she is surprised by the attraction she feels towards Jake. They begin seeing each other and the intensity of their feelings towards one another is shocking. However Jake doesn't tell her his true motives towards her father and when Jake finally exposes the truth, Laura's father tears them apart with more lies and Laura's trust is shattered.

I enjoyed this book. It is well written, with good characters, some nice chemistry, and an interesting plot. However... it's just a little too samey for me. This particular revenge-style plot has been done over and over again, and I find there is nothing new don in this book. And as a result, the whole book just kind of felt very flat, and the ending was rushed and lacked emphasis.

This is an OK read; well crafted, but unoriginal.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment