I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Tuesday 8 November 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #210



The Comeback Cowboy - Cathy McDavid
Harlequin American Romance
Harlequin, 2011
ISBN: 9780373753499






My rating




From the back cover:

"It isn't easy for a man to get back in the saddle after he's lost his competitive edge. But fallen rodeo star Ty Boudeau refuses to give up his shot at the World Championship. Even if it means taking lessons at a glorified dude ranch from a woman who can rope a steer better than a man.
As owner of Cowboy College, Adele Donnelly makes it a rule never to get involved with her guests. Especially not a famous and footloose cowboy whose life is all about traveling the rodeo circuit. But Ty is more than just another handsome face…and getting pregnant with his baby wasn't in Adele's long-term game plan. Because men like him can't be tied down. And she's not used to family sticking around.
Why should Ty be any different? Should she give the cowboy a chance to be a championship daddy?"



I'm having a bit of a resurgence in my penchant for Cowboy stories!

The hero Ty has come to the heroine Adele's ranch in order to try and figure out where he has been going wrong in his tie down roping career after he suffered a set back that caused him to lose the world championship . He is immediately drawn to Adele, especially when he sees her in action and knows that she can help him. Adele runs a tourist 'Cowboy College' and enjoys every minute of it, as she and Ty spend time together she relishes helping him and also realises she is falling for him. Ty also falls for Adele, he admires her strength and skill, but he is so focused on his rodeo career that he doesn't know what kind of future he can offer Adele. Adele is wary of relationships after watching the disaster he mother made of her life, and she also doesn't want to hold Ty back from what he could achieve.

When I first read the blurb of this book I literally guffawed, and thought "Cowboy College? Come on...!" This, to me, seemed so cheesy and stereotypically American that I thought it would end up being a bit silly, but I really enjoyed this book. I loved the setting and the backgrounds of both characters, which caused them to meet. Their relationship develops beautifully, and feels very real. I adored the heroine's strength and intelligence, she is really inspiring (up until the last few chapters). The hero is also wonderful, Ty is so full of charm, yet also very sensitive, I couldn't help but love him.
But there are two things this book didn't need and kind ruined it for me. Firstly the heroine's mummy-issues are a little frustrating, especially when her mother turns up. Secondly, the accidental pregnancy plot just seemed to be crowbarred in and rather cheapened the rest of the story, plus Adele's decision to keep it a secret was at complete odds with her character.

But despite these things I really loved this book. It's a great romance that takes place in an interesting and fun setting.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment