I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Sunday 7 August 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #131



The S Before Ex - Mira Lyn Kelly
Mills and Boon RIVA
Harlequin UK, 2011
ISBN: 9780263883862






My rating





From the back cover:

"The only man with the X-Factor!
There’s one thing even the tabloid hounds haven’t managed to dig up about celebrity Ryan Brady: he is married! He may be one of America’s most desirable men – but his secret wife has just filed for divorce...
Since their separation six years ago Claire has turned her life upside down: new business, new friends, new Claire. But when she sees Ryan to hash out a settlement her body tells her one thing hasn’t changed: he’s still the only man who really does it for her. With all other guys guaranteed to be totally meh, she’s in last-chance saloon: it’s either an X-rated fling with her ex – or straight to chastitybelts.com!"



I was looking forward to reading this book, both the title and cover are fantastic. And, I really enjoyed it.

The heroine Claire is on a much needed vacation and looking forward to the chance to relax. But her bubble is burst when her estranged husband Ryan, the hero, turns up and takes her back so they can discuss a suitable divorce settlement. Claire is determined to move on with her life so she had asked for nothing, but Ryan's sense of duty means that he needs to know he has done right by Claire despite their rather disastrous marriage. As the story progresses we learn about the heartbreaking events that caused their separation and the effects it has had on their lives. Spending time together makes Claire and Ryan realise that they still desire one another, a lot. They begin an affair, labelling it as "closure", but it's not long before their feelings get deeper and issues come up that seem to threaten their tenuous and temporary happiness.

This is a really great book from Mira Lyn Kelly that I enjoyed from the first to the last page. The characters and story have a wonderful blend of fun and and sadness, which really makes the story stand out. The interaction between the characters is written beautifully and the passion is intense. There is enough of the characters backstory and past events to help you understand them but not so much that the book ends up feeling like a flashback episode of a sitcom! I also liked that the author included a few surprises that helped to keep me turning the pages. The ending is simply wonderful!

I definitely recommend this book, another fabulous addition to the RIVA line.

Xx

1 comment:

  1. I have this in my collection. Can't wait to read it now that I have read your review.

    ReplyDelete