I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Saturday 23 July 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #107



The Replacement Wife - Caitlin Crews
Mills and Boon Modern
Harlequin UK
ISBN: 9780263886757






My rating





From the back cover:

"She can’t fall in love with her husband!
Becca Whitney has always lived with the knowledge that her blue-blooded family disowned her as a baby. So when she receives a summons to return to the ancestral mansion she’s intrigued.
Theo Markou Garcia needs a wife – or at least someone who looks strikingly similar to his infamous fiancée. Becca would be the perfect replacement...
The deal: masquerade as the Whitney heiress in exchange for your own true fortune – but do not fall for your husband!"



I'll admit that the back cover blurb didn't really inspire me to read this book, but I picked it up mainly because I really likes the last book I read by Caitlin Crews, as well as the fact that I adore this cover!

The heroine Becca is summoned to the home of her upper class relatives, the same relatives that have ignored her all her life and disowned her mother. When she arrives and after a verbal battle with her vile uncle and aunt she meets the hero Theo, whom she immediately feels attracted to. It turns out that Becca's well known heiress cousin has had an accident and is in a coma, and before that happened she apparently changed her will to give away a controlling stake in the family business to one of her lovers. Those shares were meant to go to Theo when they married. They need to find the will and they ask Becca, who looks similar to her cousin, to pretend to be her in order to get the will back from the lover. Becca is disgusted at the events and initially refuses, but agrees when the family agree to give Becca the inheritance that her mother should have got. Becca goes through weeks of learning how to act like her high society cousin and she finds it torture, and the most difficult part is trying to hide her desire for Theo. But when they do start a fling she can't help but think she is just a substitute for her cousin in Theo's eyes.

The plot idea is certainly different and well thought out. I adored the upper class Manhattan setting, and the attitudes of the snobbish relatives were really well portrayed. Some of the best parts of the book are the moments when Becca goes head to head with her horrible uncle, the verbal sparring is masterful. Becca is a wonderful feisty heroine and really made this book. I have to be honest and say that I didn't like Theo as a hero, at times I felt he came across as mean and shallow.

I enjoyed this book the plot is well thought out and the book as a whole is written beautifully, definitely worth reading. The back cover blurb is a little misleading though, so bear that in mind.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment