I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Friday 15 July 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #97



Shipwrecked with Mr Wrong - Nikki Logan
Mills and Boon RIVA
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2011
ISBN: 9780263883763






My rating





From the back cover:

"Marooned in paradise with a bikini-clad beauty...is surely the only way for a truly committed playboy to get shipwrecked!
Ideally, however, Rob Dalton would have chosen a slightly friendlier companion! Prickly conservationist Honor Brier clearly just wants to be left alone with her birds and turtles. Honor's had more than her fair share of heartbreak, and the isolated island has been a perfect place to lick her wounds in peace. She has no time for accidental tourists. Yet Rob is charming and infuriatingly attractive - his sheer passion for life is difficult to resist. Slowly Honor is discovering that even playboys may have their good points..."



I read this book in one sitting, I remember reading it and chuckling to myself over the fact that the heroine slept in a tent and there I was reading it... in a tent at Glastonbury Festival! I really enjoyed this book.

Marine archaeologist Rob, the hero, finds himself stuck on the uninhabited island of Pulu Keeling after his boat suffered damage. On the island is also conservation researcher Honor, the heroine, whom lives on the island for the majority of the year researching and tracking wildlife. With no help being able to arrive for a week, they are forces to spend timer together. Physically and emotionally scarred Honor recognised Rob for the shameless playboy he is and wants nothing to do with him, and Rob finds Honor blunt and abrasive. As they get to know one another they both have to face up to their own inner demons and issues and realise they may be falling for one another.

Be warned, this is a book that will have you on the verge of tears at times. I adored it from start to finish. The 'deserted island' idea may seem like a cliché, but believe me, it's nothing like that. The two characters are fantastic; Honor's pain and loneliness jumps off the page and her standoffish attitude really helps to make her character very three dimensional. Nikki Logan has created her with such honesty, which I really responded to, after all how does someone cop with that kind of tragic loss (read the book, I'm not going to tell you what it is!). I didn't really 'get' Rob's leading of two lives, but perhaps that's just me, however I liked his character and felt he was genuine in his want to help Honor. The passion and chemistry between the characters really lights up the pages, there is no actual sex but I think this makes it even more steamy. The emotional depth in this book is quite surprising and it really draws you in and keeps those pages turning.

The nature and wildlife of the island is described beautifully, and I loved reading it. I now have some new knowledge about Marine turtles that I have wowed my husband with! You can tell by reading Nikki's books that she is incredibly passionate about nature.

Thoroughly recommended.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment