I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Wednesday 6 July 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #87



The Beautiful Widow - Helen Brooks
Mills and Boon Modern
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2011
ISBN: 9780263886559



My rating





From the back cover:

"Nervous as a kitten whenever he comes near...
Toni George needs a job to clear the gambling debts her late husband secretly accrued. With tiny twin girls to feed, she has no choice but to accept a position with notorious heartbreaker Steel Landry. Steel is intrigued by and more than a little attracted to the beautiful Toni, though he knows that she is offlimits.
But she’s as nervous as a kitten whenever he is near – so maybe she isn’t as immune to his potent brand of masculinity as she’d like to be...?"


I was looking forward to reading this book, the back cover blurb sounded interesting and a perfect fit for the Modern line. However it wasn't what I was expecting.

The heroine Toni has an interview with the hero Steel for an interior design job. Toni is down on her luck after her husband died and she discovered secret debts she is now responsible for. She has had to move into her parents tiny home and rely on their help looking after her twin girls while she works. Steel offers her the job and as they get to know each other over time they both begin to have feelings for one another.

I actually found it difficult to write the above mini summary as the story is fairly simple, with no great 'drama', if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, this is an enjoyable read, but I wonder if this would be better placed in the Cherish line, it just wasn't powerful enough for the Modern line.
Like I said, it is enjoyable but the back cover blurb makes it sound fast paced and exciting and the book just doesn't deliver.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment