I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Wednesday 6 July 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #84



The Single Dad's Virgin Wife - Susan Crosby
Silhouette Special Edition
Silhouette, 2008
ISBN: 9780373249305


N.B. The above details relate to the North American release of this book.


My rating





From the back cover:

"Businessman Noah Falcon was gorgeous.
This fact had not escaped Tricia McBride, even though she was busy caring for his four children. In fact, since she started working for him, the attraction between them sizzled like water hitting hot oil.
Yet though she was living steps from his bedroom, relations between Noah and Tricia had to stay strictly business. He was her boss, after all. Plus, in three months, she was moving to another city. So what if her feelings for the sexy single dad—and her attraction to him—grew stronger every day? She was leaving.
But four adorable, scheming children had other plans..."


This was a book I found in a second hand bookshop in New York. I'll be honest and tell you that the back cover blurb didn't make me want to read it but I bought it as the title made me laugh and cringe at the same time! I'm glad I bought it (and not just 'cause it only cost a dollar!) as it was an OK read.

The heroine Tricia is hired to be the homeschool teacher for the hero Noah's four children. Noah's wife died 3 years ago and he has struggled to connect with his children since, his withdrawn behaviour has led to an almost estrangement from them and also many other teachers have left. Tricia has recently returned from travelling, which she took after her mother died. She spent the last few years nursing her mother through her illness and before that she was grieving the loss of her fiancé, as a result she is a virgin. Tricia immediately connects with the children and tries to get Noah to spend more time with them so they can feel like a family again. Both Tricia and Noah are very attracted to one another but try to ignore it, only this proves too difficult, but there are so many obstacles in the way of their love.

This was a quick and enjoyable book. The characters were well written and the dialogue between them was great. The romance was very heart warming and believable. I really enjoyed the inclusion of the children and how we got to learn a little about their personalities, it added more depth to the book.
There were bits of this book that I found quite frustrating. The first is that the heroine is a virgin in her 30's, I know she lost a fiancé and had to nurse her mother, but I just didn't buy it as realistic. Another is the homeschooling aspect, I was really interested in this as it's something that I am intrigued by. But again it's totally unrealistic, a whole floor of the house is a purpose built classroom... come on! As if that is relatable in anyway.

Overall this is an OK book; fun and warm but a little far-fetched.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment