I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Monday 4 July 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #80



Girl's Guide to Flirting with Danger - Kimberly Lang
Mills and Boon RIVA
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2011
ISBN: 9780263883626





My rating





From the back cover:

"Rule #1 – Don’t even flirt with your ex – let alone sleep with him!
Life is good for marriage counsellor Megan Lowe – until the media discover that she’s the ex-wife of Devin Kenney, America’s most famous divorce attorney! Now the paparazzi are digging for a scoop just in time for the launch of Devin’s new book. His gorgeous smile smirks at Megan from magazines and billboards – making him infuriatingly impossible to forget…
It’s time for Megan to throw her very bossy rulebook out of the window and face her dangerously sexy ex. And their sizzlingly hot reunion – well, that’s most definitely headline news…"


I thought I would go back to a trusty RIVA and, boy, am I glad I did! This is a book I have actually had on my shelf for a while and never read, I wish I had read it earlier as I really enjoyed it. Once again another fantastic book in the fantastic RIVA line.

The heroine Megan is asked to take time off from her job as a marriage counselor due to the adverse publicity she is getting from a pro-divorce book written by her ex husband Devin, the hero. Megan decides to confront him with the intention of asking him to help reduce this publicity. Devin is shocked to see Megan again, and even more shocked that she is now a doctor and made something of her life, he is also still bitter about the end of their marriage. Megan is talked into appearing on Devin's radio show in an attempt to ease the speculation and publicity, all goes well until they are alone and old resentments about their past relationship bubble to the surface. It's not only resentment that surfaces but also their chemistry and they end up spending the weekend together. Megan's reputation goes from bad to worse when recorded clips of their arguments are released by Davin's producer, causing her to lose her job. But it does seem like Devin and Megan have another chance at happiness, but it doesn't take long before the issues that broke them up before resurface.

I really enjoy reading reunion stories and this is enjoyable and different example. I liked both characters and how they were both written with believable flaws. I really responded to Megan's desire to have her independence and think she is a fantastic female character. Devin was a little frustrating at times but this added to his appeal, it was good to read how he had lost his way a little and was able to get back what he lost with Megan's help.
What I liked most about this book is the message it gives that 'marriage is hard' and it needs work and communication in order to be successful. The book is modern, fast paced, includes great dialogues and also feels very relatable.

What I don't like about this book is the title, obviously this doesn't have any effect on the story but it just doesn't work for me and actually put me off reading it. Regardless, I loved this book and definitely recommend reading it.

Xx

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed Megan and Devin's story. They were a lot of fun to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you liked my review. I really enjoyed this book.

    All the best.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete