I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Friday 6 May 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #47




Pregnesia - Carla Cassidy
Harlequin Intrigue
Harlequin, 2009
ISBN: 9780373694136





My rating




From the back cover:

"Former navy SEAL Lucas Washington was an expert at tackling impossible missions. But when a striking - and very pregnant - woman turned up in a car he was repossessing, suddenly he was in over his head. Shaken and bruised, she couldn't remember what had happened to her or why she was terrified of going to the police. Lucas made it clear he could be trusted, and vowed to protect her until she was safe. Hours turned to days as they searched for clues to her hidden past. Then a family came to claim her, and a happy ending seemed imminent. But had he just delivered his Jane Doe to safety...or into the hands of a killer?"


Okay, I'll admit it, I was desperate to read this book for one reason. Why, you may ask, the blurb? No. The cover? Nope. The author? No again. It's the title! Any pun style and/or word combo titles are winners for me!
I read this in ebook form purchased from the Amazon Kindle store, the version I read is the US release so the above book/publishing details are for this version. It has been released in the UK so if you want the details then just comment or email me and I'll be happy to help.

Right so, the story... Well it begins with out hero Lucas, who finds out heroine hiding in the back of a car he is repossessing. The heroine is suffering from amnesia after receiving a head injury. She is also heavily pregnant. Lucas, a former navy SEAL promises to help 'Jane' recover her memory and hopefully find her family. Jane tells Lucas she is scared and believes herself to be in danger, and initially Lucas does not believe her. After she is almost kidnapped and his apartment is broken into he finally believes her. He tracks down information linking Jane to a local organisation 'The Church of Enlightenment'. Lucas takes Jane to a safe house while he tries to find her family, whilst there they begin to get close to each other.

So, did the story live up to it's puntastic title?! Perhaps not, but I did enjoy reading it. I wasn't too keen on the characters; Jane, well, we didn't really know much about her but the impression she made was that she was a bit of a whiner, and Lucas seemed uptight and a bit of a dick (Jane gave him a, er, 'treat' one night and he didn't talk to her the next morning, what a prince!). The plot was so implausible, and when reading about the cult like 'Church of Enlightenment' all I could think about was The Simpson's episode (The Joy of Sect) with the 'Movementairians' (I'm sorry!!!).
But, all these things combined actually made this an enjoyable read! It's certainly entertaining and you know what, I read this on a 7 hour flight to New York so I needed entertaining!

Xx

P.s. You must read the review of this book on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books (link) it's hilarious!

P.p.s. Here's a picture of the book on my iPad on the plane!

No comments:

Post a Comment