I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Thursday 5 May 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #41



Shotgun Bride - BJ Daniels
Mills and Boon Intrigue
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2010
ISBN: 9780263882414






My rating




From the back cover:

"Sexy as sin and wild as the western plains…
That’s the Corbett brothers for you and Shane’s no exception. No way is he settling down just because of some ridiculous marriage pact. Especially not with a naïve cowgirl from small-town Whitehorse. At least that’s what this hardened lawman keeps insisting.
But when Maddie Cavanaugh’s kidnapped, Shane jumps into action. While he has no trouble subduing her captors, resisting the force of Maddie’s charm is harder than he could have imagined. Soon it seems stubborn Shane may be the first of the Corbett boys to surrender his bachelorhood…"


After a long run of books from the Modern line, I thought I would break it with another of my go-to lines, Intrigue. As you may remember, the last intrigue I read I did not enjoy, so I'll admit that I was a little apprehensive, however I'm pleased to say that I really enjoyed this one! This is the first book from BJ Daniels that I have read, however I have heard good things, which is not surprising since she is somewhat of a legend having been writing Intrigues since 1995!

The story begins with the 5 Corbett brothers discussing their fathers wish for them to get married, and sooner rather than later. They draw straws to decide who should be the first to take the plunge. Shane, the hero, draws the longest straw meaning he will be the last. Soon he finds himself helping his youngest brother with looking out for his latest love interest Maddie, the heroine. Maddie has recently returned home after spending time away following family problems and a disastrous love affair. When she is kidnapped by her violent ex, Shane does everything he can in order to find her and then keep her safe from harm.

There are many interlocking stories going on in the book and while this takes some of the focus away from the central relationship, it really adds suspense to the story and kept me turning the pages! I really liked the changing point of views, so often in the romance genre the point of view is only given from the heroine and/or hero, having the point of view of many of the other characters really added an interesting layer to the book. I thought the central relationship was really well developed and certainly didn't suffer from the other stories going on around it.

I really enjoyed reading this book, and will be on the lookout for more of BJ Daniels books. As it happens this book is the first in a mini-series based on the Corbett brothers and as soon as they arrive in my local library I will be reading them!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment