I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Tuesday 12 April 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #34



The Forbidden Innocent - Sharon Kendrick
Mills and Boon Modern
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2010
ISBN: 9780263886221





My rating




From the back cover:

"Having spent her childhood in care, Ashley Jones has no one. She desperately needs her new live in job as an author's assistant. But she is filled with trepidation when she arrives at isolated Blackwood Manor and meets the formidable Jack Marchant. Ashley thinks she is just a drab nobody... but her heart goes out to anguished tortured Jack. She has no idea what troubles him. But one day a private kiss becomes a passionate affair...an affair that is as secret as it is forbidden."

Whoa, it's another 5 star rated book! No, don't worry I haven't taken a bunch of happy pills, I really have loved the last two books! I have to admit that this is a book I borrowed from the library ages ago and just kept renewing it but putting off reading it! If I had known how much I would have enjoyed it then I would have read it the moment I got it home!!

The story begins with the heroine Ashley arriving at her new live-in post as assistant to the writer Jack, the hero. Ashley is a quiet 18 year old who is has struggled through her life, first through the foster care system where she had some awful experiences, and then in adulthood with living expenses and debts. Over the course of her life she has learned to keep her feelings inside and not let anyone close. Jack is also harbouring issues from his life experiences such as the destruction he witnessed while at war in the army, he is also holding a disturbing secret.
Jack and Ashley slowly develop feelings for one another, which eventually leads to an affair and to them falling in love. However Jack asks that their relationship is kept secret and Ashley worries that he is ashamed of her and doesn't really love her.

This was a beautifully written book, and a true love-story. This was another case of the pace of the book being absolutely perfect to the development of the story. It takes place over a good few months and it really allows for depth. The secret that Jack was hiding was a stunner when it was revealed, I was not expecting anything like it at all! It really gave the story an edge, I honestly did not know how this was going to work out. The characters were well written, and I really loved that Sharon Kendrick created both characters to be flawed, they really had trouble trusting one another as a result of their pasts yet they could not fight against the chemistry between them.

This is a modern interpretation of 'Jane Eyre' by Sharon Kendrick and one that is done very well, the whole forbidden love aspect was wonderfully executed and it had just the right amount of passion and heartbreak, plus a great HEA!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment