I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Friday 8 April 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #28



His Runaway Juror - Mallory Kane
Mills and Boon Intrigue
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2008
ISBN: 9780263859911



My rating




From the back cover:

"On the run from the mob and the law Brand Gallagher was on an undercover mission to bring down the Castellano crime syndicate and avenge his brother’s death.
Ordered to kill juror Lily Raines, the tough lawman couldn't break his oath to serve and protect. Though they were little more than strangers, something about Lily demanded he offer his protection.
Brand was about to break the cardinal rule of law enforcement by involving his heart. And revealing his true identity to Lily suddenly seemed an even greater risk!"


So another Intrigue book, I know! The reason these have been so frequent is simply that I have a huge pile of books from the library, which are mainly Modern and Intrigue which they always have the biggest stock of, and I'm trying to work my way through the pile before I go on holiday in 2 weeks! I don't want late fees! Also I actually really like the Intrigue series.

So, this is the story of Lily, who is on the jury of a high profile murder trial of a hit man associated with an organised crime syndicate run by a man called Gio Castellano. She is picked out by them to intimidate into voting not guilty in order to force a mistrial. Her home is broken into by two of the mob members, one of whom is undercover detective Brand. Lily and her father, who is in care home after suffering brain damage during his time as a cop, are threatened. Lily plans to escape with her father so goes on to plead guilty.
Brand is sent to kill Lily for disobeying the mobs orders but he instead he goes on the run with her. Brand has begun to suspect that there is a leak to the mob boss, and he and Lily have to escape many dangerous situations in order to stay alive, while Brand tries to work out who the leak could be and who he can trust.

This was a really good Intrigue book, and I nearly cheered when I finished it as, for once, it wasn't easy to guess who the culprit was! Lily is a great character, she is really strong at times and is desperate to do the right thing. Brand was also a great character, a true hero wanting to save Lily as well as being the typical 'closed-off emotions' guy. I really liked how the relationship develops, especially Lily's attempts to fight against the attraction as she can't decide if she can trust Brand. Unfortunately the situations they find themselves in just seem a little far-fetched that I have a hard time believing it! However it is an enjoyable and action-filled read.

Completely unrelated, don't you think the guy on the front cover looks a little like Jason Priestly of Beverly Hills 90210 fame (that's the original early 90's series)?! No? God, I'm starting to get old!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment