I write book reviews, I also write books, and occasionally I write about myself!

Monday 4 April 2011

365 books in 365 days Challenge ... book #20




A Mistake, A Prince and A Pregnancy - Maisey Yates
Mills and Boon Modern
Harlequin Mills and Boon, 2010
ISBN: 9780263878509




My rating




From the back cover:

"She's given him a baby....
An IVF clinic mix-up means eternally single Alison Whitman is now carrying the child - no, the royal heir - of Maximo Rossi, Prince of Turan!
Now he'll take her for his wife!
Maximo gave up on the hope of fatherhood a long time ago, but now the ruthless ruler will seize this surprise second chance. However, tradition is high on the Prince's agenda, and he'll never stand for an illegitimate heir...
Alison is about to find out that royal marriage is a command, not a choice!"


Ahh, back to my old faithful M&B Moderns as you can see! I was quite looking forward to reading this book. It's the first Maisey Yates book I have read and I have heard good things, plus her twitter updates are always amusing! This book definitely didn't disappoint me.

The story begins with the heroine Alison visiting the hero Maximo to inform him that she is pregnant with his child. She doesn't realise that Maximo is a prince. Alison had a traumatic time growing up after her younger sister passed away and her father walked out on Alison and her mother. As a result Alison doesn't want anything to do with love or relationships and decided to have a baby by artificial insemination, however a mix up at the clinic caused the wrong donation to be given. She makes the decision to tell Maximo as she is a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis, which her sister suffered from, and needs to ascertain if Maximo is also a carrier.
Maximo is both shocked and angry when he first learns of the mistake, he is also suspicious of Alison. His wife passed away two years ago, before that they had been going through infertility treatment, unsuccessfully. Maximo realises that he has been blessed with the second chance of having the child he so desperately wanted. However due to his royal status he has to convince Alison to marry him, and comes up against all her issues regarding relationships.

I really enjoyed this book, the story was interesting and the characters were both well written and had great chemistry. The conflicts and emotions both characters faced were interesting.
I found it refreshing how Maisey Yates has managed to write a great Alpha-male character that you would expect of the Modern line, yet he was not a shameless playboy, which so many other books contain and, instead he was more grounded and believes in commitment, bravo! Alison was also a great character, she feisty and independent a real 21st century girl and definitely more relatable than the atypical doormat female character!
There were some great minor characters as well; Maximo's parents were a hoot, especially his snobby mother! And the jealous bitchy doctor, I would have liked to have seen more of her!

I am definitely impressed with my first experience with Maisey's books, she has taken the traditional elements of this line (i.e Alpha-males, luxury settings etc) and really made them both more believable and more up-to-date! After reading this I grabbed 'The Inherited Bride' and 'Marriage Made on Paper' to add to my TBR pile!

Oh, on a last note, in the U.S. this is called 'An Accidental Birthright' I much prefer this title, it's less of a tongue twister!! Not that the title matters of course!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment